Oral health education
Oral hygiene prevents many diseases, but at the same time, in many cases, poor oral hygiene can cause serious damage, including gingival resorption, tooth decay, and yellowing of the teeth. The reason is brushing with high pressure, so oral health education is essential for everyone. Read the following text carefully to learn.
Prevention of tooth decay
To prevent tooth decay, the causes of oral caries and the solution of each are briefly explained:
- Improper use of toothbrush and floss (see brushing and flossing training below)
- Malnutrition: Excessive consumption of sour foods and carbonated beverages and artificial sweeteners is an example of malnutrition, which is fully explored in paragraph eight of this text.
- Dry mouth: One of the important factors in tooth decay is that it can be caused by mouth breathing day or night or stress or low water consumption. In this case, it is recommended to eliminate the cause of these problems and chew anti-rot gum.
- Genetics : It does not have much effect on tooth decay and the most important causes of caries are the above.
Keep the following points in mind when brushing:
- Brush gently. Pressing the brush will cause the enamel to wear away, resulting in the appearance of the underlying layer of enamel (dentin), which is a yellow layer. As a result, your teeth will turn yellow and lose their clarity.
- The most important issue in brushing is the contact of the toothbrush with all tooth surfaces. In order to comply with this issue; Brushing and brushing for three minutes is recommended.
- Brush at least twice and up to four times a day, the best time to brush is after breakfast and before bed.
- It is better to use floss in the middle of brushing, in paragraph four of this text is fully explained.
- Get the right toothbrush and toothpaste: Refer to the fifth paragraph of this text.
- Watch the videos and photos of how to use a toothbrush and floss that are uploaded below:
How to floss
- Floss between all your teeth and it is better to use floss in the middle of brushing. Brush for one minute, then rinse some of the floor of the mouth and floss for one minute and then brush for one minute, this has three advantages; A) Do not forget to floss b) Toothpaste stays in your mouth longer, so fluoride will have enough time to take effect.
- Do not floss your gums too much as repeating this can lead to gum damage.
- Floss once or twice between each tooth surface
Watch the video and photo of how to floss in the text below.
What brands are suitable for toothbrushes, toothpaste and floss?
The most important issue in the toothbrush brand is the use of soft toothbrushes and the toothbrush brand is not a very important issue. Be sure to change your toothbrush only when the toothbrush brushes are bent.
The brand of toothpaste is very important and more importantly, the toothpaste is not counterfeit. It is better to get toothpaste from reputable pharmacies, and it is recommended to use Iranian brands whose internal ingredients are foreign, such as Misswake toothpaste. Because the probability of these toothpastes being counterfeit is very low. Note that the use of fake toothpaste is very dangerous, even in foreign countries there are fake toothpaste.
Floss branding is not very important, only when preparing floss, fluoride floss is considered.
Important issues with mouthwash:
- Excessive use of mouthwash, in addition to whitening teeth, is also harmful to health. Be sure to take it with a doctor’s prescription.
- Two types of mouthwash are very common: A) Fluoride mouthwash (resistance to tooth decay) b) Chlorhexidine mouthwash (antimicrobial and used in gum disease and oral surgery to prevent infection)
Fluoride mouthwash 05.% Do not use daily for more than two weeks and no more than four periods of use of this mouthwash is recommended per year. Chlorhexidine mouthwash is not recommended for more than a week in patients with gum disease and oral surgery as prescribed by a doctor.
Fluoride therapy, varnish therapy and its importance
Fluoride therapy is done to prevent tooth decay. It can be done with mouthwash or fluoride gels. These two disadvantages include the possibility of swallowing fluoride. The best material for fluoride therapy is fluoride varnish in the dental office. And they are most effective in preventing oral caries. In Dr. Bahman Pouraghdam VIP Dentistry, fluoride therapy and varnish therapy are performed periodically for clients. It is better for children from the age of two to have regular varnish therapy.
Proper nutrition to prevent tooth decay
It is interesting to know that if you follow your hygiene completely but do not follow your nutrition, you will suffer from extensive dental caries. Tastes and nutritional interests develop over time, and it is possible to change the taste in a month, despite its difficulties. Just endure for a month, below are the eating habits that lead to tooth decay, it is better to put aside these habits because you also endanger the general health of your body. Just endure for a month, below are the eating habits that lead to tooth decay, it is better to put aside these habits because you also endanger the general health of your body.
- Consume carbonated beverages such as fish soda more than once: It is acidic and leads to tooth decay and stomach ulcers.
- Consume processed sugars and substances containing these sugars such as ice cream, sugar, candy, chocolate more than once a day
- Consume sticky foods and snacks such as desserts, chips and puffs
- Consume foods or beverages that lead to dry mouth, such as alcohol (if you consume these foods, excessive water intake is recommended.
Dental caries gums
Some chewing gums contain XYLIT sugar. This sugar not only does not cause caries but also prevents caries. Pay attention to this word on the chewing gum package.
Bad breath may be caused by one or more of the following: Ways to get rid of bad breath related to each part are briefly described:
- Lack of proper oral hygiene: To solve this problem, read the above paragraphs completely.
- Dry mouth: One of the important factors in tooth decay is that it can be caused by mouth breathing day or night or stress or low water consumption. In this case, it is recommended to eliminate the main cause of these problems and chew anti-decay gum.
- Tooth decay or plaque on teeth: A face-to-face examination is required.
- Digestive problems: It is recommended to see a gastroenterologist.
Due to the invention of the waterjet (a device that sprays water in the form of a needle), the use of an electric toothbrush is no longer recommended. Because according to the personal opinion of the author, it leads to wear of tooth enamel.
Toothpaste, interdental toothbrush
Continuous use of toothpaste is not recommended due to the possibility of damage to the gums and gingival resorption, and the use of waterjet instead of interdental toothbrush is recommended.
A device that sprays water in the form of a needle and its use is recommended to everyone every night after flossing and brushing. Especially people who have had implants or bridges or people who have gum disease. Implants and bridges have areas that a toothbrush or floss cannot clean.
Read the important points of using waterjet below and watch the video:
- In the first week, set the waterjet temperature to medium
- It is better to use cooled boiled water (distilled water) to prevent the deposition of minerals in the water channels.
- When using it, the lips should be as close together as possible so that water does not come out of your mouth. And bend your head towards the toilet sink so that the excess water flows towards the sink.
- Place the tip of the device between the gums and teeth.
Rinse from the back of the left upper maxillary teeth to the back of the upper right teeth, from the front of the left teeth to the front of the right teeth. Do the same for the mandible. Then repeat this whole process again.
Comments on caries prevention and health education
Please submit your comments and suggestions on caries prevention and health education below